Thursday, April 10, 2014

Portfolio Book Cover (04/11/14)

The weeks are going by quickly and I have a lot to accomplish. I decided to take out my No Plastic Sleeves book and I began to read up on making the portfolio book. The printed portfolio is a foot in the door technique that is used to spark further interest in me. A lot goes into it and I need to consider a lot of different options and designs. While the possibilities are endless I must come up with what I want my portfolio to say about my work and the type of work I would like to do. Reading the chapters about making the book got a little overwhelming. I decided I need to make a list of things I need to consider. First the book cover.


1. The cover design- The cover design is a means to get me noticed. It has to differentiate me from the rest of the crowd. At the same time my cover design must reference the type of work I want to do while keeping in mind my audience.


2. I was also reminded not to forget about the back cover. It should be an extension of the front.


3. Decisions on material of the book cover has to be considered. Its weight, size and texture as well as practicality are all things to think about.


4. Color. Color is the first visual component we perceive and can be the most memorable (based on Gestalt cognitive theory!” (54) It can establish the mood of the portfolio and needs careful consideration. A few specific colors for typography and the graphic elements should be used on the book covers and carried throughout the interior pages.


4.Iconography and Images can help describe your brand and give meaning to your work. It sometimes can give a period of time reference or a type of mood.  However you must know what is a part of public domain and what is not. Keep the copyright laws in mind.


5.Hierarchy should be used to give visual weight and balance to focus the attention to where you want it.


6. Negative space should be used as well as positive space. The authors write “to remember not to just plop pieces of work down any where”. (69)


7. Size and proportion has to be kept in mind. My best work will be in the book and must be supported by the design of the book cover. Keeping in mind how the size feels in the hands of the reader is important. The size and the weight of the book also will determine printing costs and costs for mailing.


8.Typeface can be a big part of the design of the book. Different typefaces say different things including mood. It is up to you. t can be fancy or simple or can be left out altogether. The authors recommend if using typeface to use something a lot out of the ordinary, but make sure it reflects your brand and it is not difficult to read.


9. The authors remind me to pay attention to kerning, leading and typographic rag.

10. Copy is very important. It must be concise, relevant and memorable. Use language that is not old and bland and doesn't use cliches. It is very important to make sure that the copy is free of any errors.


This is advice I will take while designing my book cover.


Works Cited
Volk, Larry, and Danielle Currier. No Plastic Sleeves The Complete Portfolio Guide For Photographers and Designers. New York: Focal, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment